15 November 2006

Julian Hawthorne Wets His Pants

Another extract from Twenty Days with Julian & Little Bunny By Papa, Nathaniel Hawthorne's diary of looking after his five-year-old son, Julian, in the summer of 1851.

This is part of the entry for 6 August:

Julian was remarkably uneasy in the village; insomuch that I came away without purchasing some loaf-sugar, which we have wanted ever so long. He was so restless in his movements that I suspected him to be, in his technical phrase, "uncomfortable"; but he positively denied it.

We stopt at Love-Grove; and there again I made inquisition as to this point; but he still said no. He was so restless, however, that I advised him to go home before me, and he accordingly started at a great pace.

I came up with him, on the ascent of the hill, on this side of Mr. Butler's. I heard him squealing, while I was some distance behind; and approaching nearer, I saw that he walked wide between the legs. Poor little man! His drawers were all a-sop. It is a positive cruelty to the child not to put him into such a dress that he may have nature's freedom, at any moment.
Look back here for another, less soppy extract.

No comments: