11 June 2006

My teenaged spy adventure

The Ian Fleming estate continues its grandiose plan to conquer the world [have they learned nothing from those books?] with the Young James Bond franchise. This month the second book by Charlie Higson rolls out in the USA. There's also the Young Bond website, and promises of graphic novels in 2008. All of which begs two questions.

First, wasn't James Bond fairly adolescent already?

And second, considering all the technical gadgets that today's teenagers have at their fingertips, wouldn't the most advanced technology of the period when young James was at Eton seem as slow and frustrating as, say, those thrilling scuba sequences in Thunderball?

My own teenaged spy novel would harness the latest scientific discoveries:

"Gosh, Terry! How are we ever going to get out of here? That guard's guarding us like a...well, like a guard!"

"Let me think, Chris. Let me think. We need some way to distract her for up to thirty seconds. I have my Swiss Army knife with two blades, a file, and an eighth-inch drill. What do you have in your backpack?"

"Just a two-liter bottle of Diet Coke and some Mentos."

"Darn. Is that all?"

"Nothing but a paper clip."

"Why didn't you mention that in the first place? I saw something on the Internet..."
Check out the video and complete instructions at EepyBird. Thanks to Jerry Bell for the link.

No comments: