01 May 2008

We Need More Drool from the Dragon

Last October, Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, issued a press release that said, in part:

The Secret Room is home to the Drooling Dragon...
For decades I've visited my grandparents near Longwood Gardens, and we occasionally made family visits to this arboretum. Those visits proved that you can lead a kid to horticulture, but you can't make him think that it's exciting to watch plants grow.

This new Longwood Gardens feature seems designed to appeal to today's kids, expecting thrills at every other corner. However, I can’t imagine a detail less likely to attract my grandmother than a “Drooling Dragon.” Then again, if the Garden Traveler is correct about what the Drooling Dragon looks like, I would have been terribly disappointed. Especially after seeing the type of dragon that the Longwood Gardens website seems to promise.

No comments: