09 July 2009

For Added Body

Travel broadens the mind, especially in regard to what substances manufacturers have decided to put into shampoos.

I favor a shampoo whose main ingredient appears to be...shampoo. I know, however, that there's a healthy market for shampoos built around things we usually consider edible, floral, or medicinal.

Even so, I wouldn't have thought that pine tar would be high on the list of substances one should put in one's hair. Who would think of that?

Oh, Edgar Cayce.

4 comments:

Sam said...

Believe it or not, I used to use pine tar shampoo. I think that it had some sort of health warning on the side and it smelled strongly.

david elzey said...

when i was a kid i'd heard that nomads of the sahara used camel urine to strip oil from the hair as a sort of shampoo. i thought "gross" until this new shampoo came out called pert and one of the main ingredients was urea. I looked it up.

"...the main nitrogen-containing substance in the urine of mammals..."

of course now it's produced chemically, but still...

Glenn Whidden said...

Personally, I prefer placenta shampoo. But only when I follow it up with bone marrow conditioner.

J. L. Bell said...

And those products make sense!