04 June 2013

“I’m going to see that tornado one day.”

Last week tornado chaser Tim Samaras died chasing a tornado in Oklahoma. The same storm killed his son, twenty-four years old, and a colleague.

National Geographic then ran an interview with Samaras about his work, some of which had been funded by the society:
How did you get into it?

My background is in engineering. And I've always had a fascination with weather.

I watched The Wizard of Oz when I was a kid and vowed to myself, "I'm going to see that tornado one day." Tornadoes have pretty much become a focus of my life.
Rationally, that makes as much sense as deciding to breed monkeys with wings.

1 comment:

Todd said...

No so! Breeding winged monkeys is not possible, but seeing a tornado is. This is certainly a tragedy, but I understand the fascination with twisters, as I share it myself. I don't think I'd ever go storm chasing though.