18 October 2019

The Late Storm

On Wednesday night and Thursday morning a northeaster blew through the Boston area. A little after midnight, I heard a loud thump outside my house, and the lights went out.

A large branch of a tree in the front yard had fallen onto the wires from the utility pole to the house. I walked around, making sure the branch hadn’t hit the roof as well or done other damage. As I did, I realized that, while most of the lights were out, some rooms at the front of the house were still getting power. I plugged all the devices that need recharging into those outlets and went to bed.

In the morning, I found the same situation: no lights or power in some rooms, perfectly normal in the rest. The tree branch had dragged the power line to the ground, yanking it and the electric meter off the front of the house, but that line was still connected and conducting electricity. The wire for telephone and internet service, in contrast, was well and truly snapped.

Thursday was therefore awkward but not debilitating. I used cell service and went to the library to connect to the internet. I ate lunch out while keeping the refrigerator closed and contacting utility companies. And as I prepared to go to an event in the evening, I tested the power in the kitchen by flipping on one burner of the electric stove.

The overhead light went on. So did lots of other lights in the house. I flipped the burner off. All those lights turned off.

For a second it felt like I was in the Buster Keaton short “One Week,” the one when he assembles a kit house out of order and the systems are all mixed up. An electrician might have a better explanation for what was happening, but I’m sticking with the “Sherlock, Jr.” theory of being briefly stuck inside a silent movie.

I put a big pot of water on a small burner turned as low as it could go without being off. Electricity flowed freely through the house. The refrigerator hummed. The digital clocks blinked happily. Still no phone or broadband internet, but cell service still worked and life went on.

Then today the electric company showed up. Because there was the little matter of live wires under tree debris in the front yard, coming dangerously close to the sidewalk. The line workers unhooked the wire. They ran a new wire from the pole to the house. And then, because of their mandate not to deal with electric meters and indoor wiring, they left. Leaving the house totally without power for the first time.

So now I’m in a coffee shop, typing till they shut off the Wifi and close. I’ve got a hotel room with a change of clothes in it. I’ve got a car. I’ve got an appointment with an electrician (and, next week, with a phone technician). Fingers crossed for the food in the freezer.

No comments: